Horticulture Focus Area
- Seed to Sale program: Our students start the growth process by planting the seedling, while being mentored to care for the plant until it is fully grown. They are then trained to market the plant for sale to the general public.
- Our students participate in flower arrangement classes.
- Horticulture students work with the instructor on landscaping projects.
- Students are trained in basic lawn maintenance .
- Possible career paths are explored within the horticulture vocational area.
Auto Mechanics Focus Area:
The students use a computerized diagnostic sensor for exploring mechanical problems.
The instructor trains the students to use an automotive lift for projects.
The students are trained to use the tire changing machine.
The students learn daily life skills as it relates to automotive repair.
The students explore auto mechanics as a career.
Woodworking Focus Area:
- The students enjoy a fully equipped workshop
- The students use a variety of carpentry tools, including band saws, scroll saws, drill press, air powered tools, and many others
- The students can cut words and other designs on the pantograph machine
- The students create woodworking projects to apply newly learned skills
- Carpentry is explored as a possible career path
Recreational Horseback Riding:
- The Bachman facilities house 7 horses
- Bachman teaches western style riding as a recreational activity
- The students ride in a riding arena and on riding trails on the 188 acre property
- Instructors use Smart Boards to make content visual by accessing Internet resources, creating presentations, and modeling skills for our students.
- ELMO projectors help our teachers present the lessons, while they help our students stay focused on the activities and visualize the content.
- Our students use the Kindle Reading Program to read popular e-books both independently and with residential staff.
- Our math classes use the Calculator-Based Laboratory System for understanding numbers and the use of data.
All students elect an extracurricular club in which to be involved. Students participate in their choice of clubs at the end of each school day.
Current clubs may include:
- Student Council
- Arts and Crafts
- Personal fitness
Bachman Academy is proud of its dual-accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SACS/SAIS). We also strive to maintain the highest academic standards by building course work and curriculum based upon current Tennessee State Standards.